This delicious braised cabbage is easy to make and richly flavored.
A few simple ingredients and one pot make a hearty, delicious and versatile side.
Ingredients For My Braised Cabbage Recipe:
- 1/2 medium sized head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 celery stalks (with the leaves), thinly sliced
- 1 parsnip, grated
- 1 carrot, crated
- 1 large bunch of dill, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 small can of tomato paste (5.5 fl oz)
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (you can also use honey or molasses)
- salt, to taste
- 1-2 cups of braising liquid; I used beef stock but you can use any other kind of stock (chicken, veggie, mushroom) or even water, apple cider, white wine, etc.
Directions for the best braised cabbage:
Step 1: heat a large pot over medium high heat, add in avocado oil and, once glistening, add onions, celery, parsnips and carrots. Add a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables soften. Add in braising liquid as needed in small quantities to deglaze.
Step 2: add in tomato paste, vinegar and maple syrup. Continue adding braising liquid as needed and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are mostly soft.
Step 3: add in cabbage and dill, season with several pinches of salt and stir every thing to combine. Close lid and allow cabbage to braise until it is soft, tender and fragrant (about 20-30 minutes). Stir occasionally, adding braising liquid as needed.
Step 4: enjoy the world’s best braised cabbage. My personal favourite? Top with a crispy fried egg and a big drizzle of tahini